Enroll in a plan
In order to enroll in the UnitedHealthcare Group Medicare Advantage plan for coverage beginning 01/01/2021, please call the San Francisco Health Service System at 1-800-541-2266, 8 a.m.-5 p.m. PT, Monday through Friday. TTY users, call 711.
Required information for enrollment
In addition to your name and contact information, you'll need to have this information handy:
- The name and employer number of your former employer or union trust group.
- Your Medicare ID card.
- A copy of your Medicare ID card.
- A copy of your Letter of Verification from the Social Security Administration (SSA) or Railroad Retirement Board, if possible.
- The names and phone numbers of physicians and hospitals that you currently use or might use in the future.
- The name and ID number of the primary care physician you've selected.
You must have enrolled in the UnitedHealthcare® Group Medicare Advantage (PPO) plan between October 1-31, 2020, or during your Initial Enrollment Period. Not enrolling during these times could result in you not receiving coverage for the 2021 plan year or having to a pay a higher monthly premium for your plan.
Who can enroll?
You can enroll in a plan if:
- You're currently enrolled in Part B or are newly eligible for Medicare.
- You live in the service area of the plan.
What if the enrollment deadline has passed?
If the enrollment deadline has passed, you won't be able to enroll in a plan until the next enrollment period, unless you qualify for a Special Election Period .
It's important to enroll in Medicare Part A and Part B when you first become eligible, during the Initial Enrollment Period . Medicare Part B requires a monthly premium payment for coverage, which is determined by when you enroll. In most cases, premium rates increase by 10 percent for each full 12-month period that you could have had Part B, but were not enrolled.
What happens after I enroll?
After you submit your enrollment request form, here's what you can expect:
- We'll review your form and verify your eligibility.
- After you're verified, your application will be sent to the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) for approval. Approval may take up to one week.
- Once CMS approves your enrollment, you'll be sent a confirmation letter and your plan member ID card.
- Soon after, you'll receive your Member Kit in the mail. It includes details about your specific health plan benefits.
- If offered by your employer group, you can attend Open Enrollment meetings and/or health fairs to learn more about your benefit options and get important updates.
Need help or have questions?
For additional enrollment questions, call 1-877-259-0493, 8 a.m.-8 p.m., local time, 7 days per week during Open Enrollment and Monday through Friday outside of Open Enrollment. TTY users, call 711. Or, contact us.
2021 Open Enrollment Period